How Does VitalStim® Therapy Work?
VitalStim® Therapy is designed to help swallowing through the use of neuromuscular electrical stimulation. Electrical stimulation is used to aid muscle strengthening to help patients learn or re-learn how to swallow as well as improve swallowing function.
Candidates for VitalStim® Therapy
- Signs of aspiration (or inhaling food) or difficulty managing diet
- Coughing/Clearing throat after swallowing
- Inability to cough on command
- Decreased voice quality (wet, hoarse, weak)
- Recurring chest infections
- Multiple swallows or special maneuvers required to clear throat
- Difficulty finishing a meal
- Feeling of food being "stuck" in the throat
- Modified diet required (thickened, pureed, etc.)
- Difficulty initiating a swallow
- Spilling food from lips and/or drooling
VitalStim® Therapy is offered at the Play to Learn Center, part of Pediatric Therapy at Glendale Adventist Medical Center. If your child displays any of the symptoms listed above, call the Play to Learn Center at (323) 255-1134.