GLENDALE, CA June 4, 2008 -- Glendale Adventist Medical Center officials were in Newport Beach for the Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) 2008 Western Pacific Regional Awards Competition. J. R. Abbott Construction, Inc. received the "Excellence Award for Best Project - Private Sector Building over $15 Million" for Glendale Adventist Medical Center's (GAMC) West Tower building project. There was only one excellence award given out in this category.
The West Tower was planned to help meet the demands of the aging patient population and to implement emerging technologies to better serve the community. It features 60 new patient beds, including: a family-centered, 12-bed Surgical Intensive Care Unit; larger patient rooms with Internet workstations; six spacious surgical suites, including two dedicated to cardiovascular and neurological surgery and a new/expanded emergency department with state-of the-art technology.
"In this new tower, patients know that they are in space that was designed to promote healing,” said Morre Dean, President and CEO of Glendale Adventist. “Throughout the planning process, much attention and consideration was given to providing for the comfort and needs of both patients and families. We commend J.R. Abbott Construction for delivering an excellent facility and for receiving this well deserved prestigious award."
J. R. Abbott Construction led the design-build team that delivered the Glendale Adventist Acute Care Facility project with the following notable achievements:
1. Created a design build project team that collaborated to develop cost effective and innovative solutions to meet the owner's operational needs and the RFP for the project.
2. The mechanical, electrical and plumbing trades developed highly detailed and integrated design drawings that included seismic for initial submission to OSHPD (the governing authority). These detailed and integrated design drawings reduced the total number of submissions required and shortened the review process which is a critical element in the schedule of a hospital.
3. Delivered a project that fit into the existing hospital campus and provided for future campus expansion.
4. Delivered a state-of-the-art acute care facility with the latest in technology. The design team also provided an aesthetically pleasing facility that gives patients a “non-clinical” experience.
5. Allowed no accidents
6. Delivered project with no claims or disputes
"It was a team effort with all members having a vested interest in each others success," said Brannon Shalley, Sr. Project Manager for J.R. Abbott Construction. "J.R. Abbott Construction acknowledges all those who participated in bringing this new center of healing to the Glendale community. The behind the scenes efforts of everyone involved made this project a huge success."
1509 Wilson Terrace • Glendale, CA 91206 • Tel: 818-409-8000